Wednesday 23 September 2009


I'm a Jewellery and Metalwork student at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design in Dundee, and my first project this year is to design and make a vessel or group of vessels in metal.

First of all we had to consider what a vessel actually is. My initial thought was of a hollow shape which could hold something within it, such as a bowl. I then began to think of ships or objects designed to float on water. Blood vessels and vessels to do with anatomy then sprang to mind, suggesting tubes and channels. Lastly and slightly more obscurely the idea of a person being a vessel was raised.
- Lots to consider!

To gain some inspiration I have researched contemporary silversmiths that I find particularly interesting. A silversmith named Michael Rowe has caught my attention. His work is very architectural and precise. I love how his boxes play tricks on your eyes and his bowls have sharp angles.

1 comment: